Thanks for purchasing our compression rod inserts for the Model 3 and Model Y! These are easy to install, but make sure you have the orientation correct!
NOTE: The inserts press from the top-down.
Check out this Installation Video from our friend Chris!
Time Required: 1.5 Hours
Tools Required: 21mm socket, 22mm wrench, 10mm socket, 15mm socket, T45 Torx socket, torque wrench, common hand tools.
Difficulty Level: 2/10
Step 1 – Raise Car & Preperation
- Lift the front of the vehicle either with two jacks + jack-stands, or ideally with a hoist
- Remove the front wheels (21mm socket)
- Remove the front aero shield (10mm bolts, 15mm nuts)
Step 2 – Remove OEM Compression Rods
- Remove the 21mm bolt from the compression rod to subframe. NOTE: There is a 21mm nut on the top of the subframe that is not secured to the subframe.
- Remove the 22mm nut from the compression rod to knuckle. NOTE: Use a 22mm wrench and tighten the T45 socket on the compression rod to remove.
- Slide the compression rod arm out. Move the knuckle end out of the way of the knuckle first, and then articulate the arm away from the knuckle. A pry-bar helps to release it from the subframe!
- You may wish to remove one at a time for simplification.
Step 3 – Press In Inserts
- Lubricate the OEM Bushing using soapy water, gel lube, etc.
- Ensure the ball joint stud is facing downward prior to installing the inserts.
- Press the inserts into the bushing. NOTE: Make sure they are pressed in from the top-down. You may need to use a rubber mallet to fully insert them.
Step 5 – Reassembly
- Re-install the arms. First, slide the arm into the subframe and hand-tighten the 21mm nut and bolt. Then, articulate the arm to the knuckle and hand-tighten the 22mm nut.
- Torque the outboard 22mm balljoint nut to 130lb-ft (175Nm)
- Torque the inboard 21mm subframe nut and bolt to 85lb-ft (115Nm)
- Paint mark your bolts
- Re-install the front aero shield.
- Install the wheels and lower the car on the ground. Torque the wheels to 130lb-ft (175Nm).
- An alignment is not required.
You must be logged in to post a comment.